RE: Surface Contaminated Objects

I haven't read the draft NUREG 1608 for LSA/SCO in quite some time, but I
believe it specifically says that you should use the 10% smear efficiency to
determine the actual contamination levels on the equipment.  In that case, the
limit for your smear is 2.22E5 which would correspond to 2.22E6 on the piece of
equipment.  The concept of smear efficiency is obviously a different concept for
standard 10CFR20 type plant surveys, but that is another story.

I believe the draft NUREG also permits you to scale in alpha emitters per your
10CFR61 analysis instead of direct measurement.  What about other radionuclides
such as Fe-55 or Ni-63 which are not alpha emitters, but most likely not
measurable by your hand held meter?  Don't scale them in much like we don't
scale in other emitters we can't directly measure with standard smears?  If it
is not measured by a handheld instrument, is it really an external hazard with
respect to contamination levels a person might come into contact with?  I wish I
had a better feel for some of the logic behind the regs.

...and good questions begat other good questions...

Can't wait to get a copy of the final NUREG.  I'm really disappointed that the
doc is not available on the NRC web page.  This is probably the single biggest
issue with nuclear power plant shippers other than the 1999 death of cask
exceptions.  I'm trying to firm up some of my own positions, but it is difficult
to do without the final doc.

Sincerely,
Glen