foreign language rad safety guides

Thanks to everyone responding to my posting.  Particular thanks to one
anonymous soul who faxed a copy of their radiation safety handout and a
chinese translation to our office.

I will be incorporating portions of this, and other documents I have been
made aware of, into a handout we will be putting together in the next few
months.  It looks as though we should have a few pages of bullets and
checklists covering the most important items.  These will be translated
into Chinese, Japanese, and Korean and I will gladly make them available to
anyone who is interested.

In addition, I am looking into asking one of our Chinese post-docs to
narrate a videotape of portions of our rad safety training.  Again, once
done, I'll see what we can do about making this available at our cost plus
shipping.

I feel it is important for anyone using radioactive materials in a lab in
the US to be able to speak, read, and comprehend English passably.
However, I also know from personal experience that there's a big difference
between talking with someone and understanding technical material presented
at a rapid speed.  I feel it is my responsibility to make sure that
everyone understands the most important parts of our radiation safety
training and, since I'm responsible for doing the training, I ought to try
to make this happen.

Please do not contact me at this time; I'll let you all know when they're
ready.

Andy

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
RSO, University of Rochester
(716) 275-3781 (voice)
(716) 256-0365 (fax)
akaram@safety.rochester.edu

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled  but a fire to be lighted"
 Plutarch