George Anastas

Date:          Wed, 16
Sep 1998 18:57:04 -0500 (CDT) Reply-to:
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu From:          "Bill Schadt"
<schadt@worldnet.att.net> To:            Multiple recipients of list
<radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> Subject:       History and The Health
Physics Journal

RadSafe Members,

Among my copies of old journals I've discovered an original copy of the
Pergamon Press pamphlet announcing the publication of a new international
journal called Health Physics.  The pamphlet is a 5 x 8 inch, four page,
folded document printed using the white and yellow colors originally used
for the journal.

If there is any interest in this bit of history, I would be willing to give
it to a library or institution having a demonstrated interest or collection
in health physics.  Do you have any suggestions regarding an appropriate
recipient?  If so, please forward them to me at the email address shown
below.

If you have absolutely no interest in this topic, now is the time to hit
your delete button because the following is more detailed information about
the pamphlet and a second pamphlet found at the same time.

The pamphlet includes the following Memorandum from the Publisher.  The text
was reproduced accurately, so don't just assume that I'm a sloppy typist.

"I give you herewith details of a new journal to be published by this press,
Health Physics the official organ of the Health Physics Society.

	The official magazine of the Health Physics Society, circulated to
professional health physicists throughout the world, Health Physics, deals
with engineering, applied, research and administrative aspects of radiation
protection.  It is of direct interest to all concerned with Nuclear Energy
as well as to those active in the diverse fields pertinent to the profession
of Health Physics.

	We shall be pleased to enter your name on the list of subscribers so
ensuring your receipt of the first issue of the journal which is scheduled
to appear in mid-April.

	Ian R. Maxwell
	Publisher at Pergamon Press"

Since Volume 1, No 1 of Health Physics was dated June 1958, I presume this
pamphlet was published sometime during the first quarter of 1958.

The quoted subscription rates are $6 and $17 per annum for members and
non-members respectively.

Within the pamphlet, Pergamon also announces the proceedings from the First
International Conference on Radioisotopes in Scientific Research organized
by UNESCO and held in Paris during September of "last year."  I presume that
"last year" was 1957.

Also found was a second pamphlet giving more details about the UNESCO
conference mentioned above.  Unfortunately, it does not give any information
about the specific year of the conference.

Bill Schadt
Radiation Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 10457
Silver Spring, MD 20914-0457
(301) 622-9644 (voice)
(301) 622-1582 (fax)
info@chammp.com (email)

George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P., Director
Environmental Health and Safety and
University Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA  95819-6085
Telephone 916/278-6456
Direct 916/278-5447
FAX 916/278-4359
anastas@csus.edu

"Expect the best and accept no less."

"The views expressed herein are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views
of California State University, Sacramento,
California State University, the State of
California or any of its political subdivisions.
This posting is disclaimed."