137Cs check sources

I have been installing the 1 uCi 137Cs check sources to our survey meters.
I have had an  uproar over the fact that these sources are emmiting an
surveyable reading even 12 inches away from the checksource
I measured 65000cpm (using a ludlum 44-2 detector) on surface of one of
these checksources.
My questions:
Does anyone have data on the exposure rate of these sources to an
individual that is in proximity of the source for 8 hr?
Is there a better way to check meters for functionality, rather than have a
check source attached?
How have others tackled this protest (that the check source is irradiating
the individuals, hands, arms, benchpartner, etc.)
When was this regulation(and can you reference this regulation to me) put
in place that an individual has to be exposed to radiation for the reason
that a survey  meter can be checked against radiation?
Mark Dater
NeXstar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
2860 Wilderness Place
Boulder, CO. 80301
Work phone: (303) 546-7703
Fax: (303) 444-0672
E-mail mdater@Nexstar.com
These are my comments and questions and not those of my employer.