Delusional individuals and how to deal with them

We here at the Indiana State Department of Health have had dealings of and on for several years with a gentleman who believes that he has been exposed to radiation from varying sources, and who professes to be showing symptoms of this exposure.  Without going into detail regarding this individual, it is patently obvious to my coworkers and I that both the alleged sources and symptoms are completely unfounded, and that the person is probably in need of psychiatric assistance.  His fears go far beyond normal "radiation phobia" into the realm of unhealthy paranoia.

Of course, from his point of view, he is perfectly sane.  He obviously lives in constant fear of future exposure and frustration that no one will believe him.  His life must be completely miserable.

Has anyway had to deal with this situtation before?  What suggestions do you have?  Is it better to assist the person to get bioassays or other tests, even though they are not indicated at all?  To ignore the person completely?  To confront the person with your belief that he needs psyciatric help?

My intention is not to open a forum for "war stories" regarding this issue, but to find out how best we can help this fellow.  If anyone has any suggestions, please email me.  If there are any radiation psychiatrists :) reading this post, your suggestions are most welcome.

Hans J. Messersmith
hmessers@isdh.state.in.us
Indoor and Radiologic Health
Indiana State Department of Health