Re: Elevated gross alpha background concentrations

A good place to start is NCRP Report 50, "Environmental Radiation
Measurements".  (IMHO this is the all time best NCRP report.  I had the
privilege of working with Jake Sedlet, one of the authors.  To Jake and all
the others - a big "attaboy".)  The section on "Radionuclides in Man's
Environment" - "General Distribution Patterns", pp. 16ff, includes
statements,
beginning on page 19:  "The radon content of ground-level air varies
considerably with location and time...Both short-term measurements and
long-term measurements are affected by time variations of Rn-222 and its
daughters in the near-ground air. ... Significant diurnal and seasonal
variations of Rn-222 concentrations are observed and can be mostly explained
by changes in atmospheric stability conditions..."  There are references for
this which may also be helpful.

Regarding the potential effect of a coal burner, NCRP 95, "Radiation
Exposure
of the U.S. Population From Consumer Products and Miscellaneous Sources", is
good place to start.  The section on "Combustible Fuels", pp. 32ff provides
data and references.  (This is also an excellent report; no invidious
comparison is intended.) The impact of these emissions would also be
affected
by atmospheric conditions.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton