Re: Elevated gross alpha background concentrations

Elizabeth,

I have seen it reported that coal-fired electric plants can release 3000 kg
of natural uranium into the environment per day - other compotents which
could be released to the air from coal ash include K-40, Th-232 (series),
Rn-222 and Pb-210 and Po-210.  Also, NCRP Report No. 95 contains
information on the combustion of coal and exposure to the U.S. population.
I would be happy to fax this information to you if you will send me your
fax #.  Also, if you suspect the coal-fired plant to be elevating your
background numbers, you might want to look into windspeed and directions.

Laurie Taylor