Lantern Mantles/Check Sources

"Calibration" is different the using a check source.  If what you say is
true, I have to put my instruments on my Cs-137 range daily to ensure
they are operating properly.  This is not so.  A check source will only
show that one range (usually the most used range) is still operating
within 20% of what it was when calibrated.  This, along with battery
check, wire and general integrity checks of the instrument are
sufficient for day to day ops.  Calibrations should be performed at
least annually, when the instrument is repaired, when damage is
suspected, or when the instrument fails source check.  As for
calibration, I would recommend 25% and 75% of full scale readings
instead of midpoint only.  If you really want to check, do all three
points on each scale.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Patrick S. Muldoon, CHP
patrick.muldoon@med.va.gov