Re: Electron tubes

Hi Elizabeth,

Since no one else has answered, let me give you my take on this.

"Electron tubes"  is a name for glass tubes (most evacuated-mostly glass-
vacuum tubes) , I believe now mostly replaced by solid state electronics.
They began being used around 1946, and continued well into the 1980s (or
later?). I recall seeing/surveying some in use in the late 1980's on
board our Navy ship.  There were a number of nuclides used the many
different tubes. depending on the age of the tube,  who made it and what
it was supposed to do. The nuclides used I know were: Cs-137, Kr-85,
Co-60, Pm-147 in addition to  H-3, Ni-63, Th-232, Ra-226, Pb-210 possibly
found in some. Activities seem to range from around 1 uCi or less, but I
find references of some that were up to 100 uCi. Above my desk at this
time I have two 4 prone tubes, made by Westinghouse, both with the same
model number. The interesting thing is that one uses Radium, the other
Kr-85, just made in different years.  Just never know I guess.

Ref: (1) Me

        (2) Living with Radiation: First 100 years
              Frame, P and Kolb, WM

PS. It is best if people who ask questions, provide their e-mail address
and name. Thanks!

Bruce A. Busby    -     Radiation Health Physicist
W- bab1303@doh.wa.gov      H-babusby@aol.com
Rad Prot. Div. - Dept. of Health - Washington State
7171 Cleanwater Lane, Bldg. 5   Olympia, WA  98504

Good Health is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.