Re: Electron tubes

Busby, Bruce wrote:

> Hi Elizabeth,
>
> Since no one else has answered, let me give you my take on this.
>
> "Electron tubes"  is a name for glass tubes (most evacuated-mostly glass-
> vacuum tubes) , I believe now mostly replaced by solid state electronics.
> They began being used around 1946, and continued well into the 1980s (or
> later?). I recall seeing/surveying some in use in the late 1980's on

Hi All,

I think electron tubes are much older than 1946.  I am not sure of the exact
date but I know that my father had bought a 1930 radio and got a pretty
sophysticated one in 1938 which worked (with repairs, mostly by replacing
electrolyte condensers) until 1986.  I think that the technology was well
known around the turn of the century (Marconi), and vacuum tubes should
have been marketed widely in the tens or twenties at the latest.

Regards

Fritz

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Principal