RE: Nuclear Power Plant Conversion Factors

Title: RE: Nuclear Power Plant Conversion Factors

On a biennial frequency we perform a nuclide mix evaluation.  We use information from Part 61, gamma spec of air samples and smears.  We've also sent some stuff out for alpha spec.  All this information is compiled in a Tech Info doc which includes some very useful information.

We derive a weighted Transuranic DAC (notice it's not an alpha DAC) taking into account Pu-241.  The overall information also confirms that our check sources are representative of the average/dominant energies we find in the plant.  Also, if we took a slug of plant material, it tells us what we should expect (uniform contamination, intakes, contamination on the floor).

It's an extremely useful document that supports the numbers we choose in a radiation protection program.

Matt Williamson
Indian Point Unit 3
Williamson.m@nypa.gov
914-736-8416