Re: Electromagnetic field question

Mitch,

Here at The Univ. of Iowa we have a cyclotron which generates a large
magnetic/RF field when operating.  It caused computer monitor images in
computers in the offices above it to tilt and oscillate.  The director of
our PET facility may be able to steer you in the right direction.  Please
e-mail me directly if you are interested in contacting him.

Laurie Taylor
laurie-taylor@uiowa.edu

At 11:45 AM 9/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Radsafers,
>
>An office in our university was recently renovated and the individual work
stations rearranged.  When the employees in one portion of the office
installed and began to use their computers, they noticed that the image on
the computer monitor would  oscillate.  They speculated that electrical
wiring which might be present within the wall next to their work stations
might be causing this oscillation.  To test their theory they positioned
the monitors next to the wall and then as far away from it as possible.
The oscillations diminished noticeably when the monitors where positioned
furthest from the wall.  We are working on determining if any electrical
wiring exists within the wall and if it does, what kind of power levels it
might be carrying.

>Do any of you have any experience with a situation similar to this?  Any
comments and/or assistance on how to remedy these oscillations will be
greatly appreciated.