Re: 131-I and pregnancy

As a medical radiobiologist I must take issue with the
previously posted response to the question: How long should
a patient wait to become pregnant after 131-I therapy for
thyroid cancer or hyperthyroidism?
The issue is NOT radiation dose to the fetus.  It is dose
to the maturing follicle in the ovary.  This dose at the
time of administration and shortly thereafter is
substantially greater than the dose later to the embryo
from radioisotope accumulated in the mother's body. Current
data suggest that the maturing follicle is almost as
sensitive as the early embryo.  Therefore, one should wait
for all maturing follicles at the time of irradiation to
ovulate.  This interval is open to some question.  One can
find support for waiting from 1 to 12 months, as has been
recommended to the questioner.  In any event, the wait
should be "several menstrual cycles."
Hope this helps.