RE: Dose Correlation

I use a similar comparison to give perspective as an introduction to
radiation biology concepts.  The energy absorbed by the body during a
400 rad exposure is roughly equivalent to a sip of hot coffee at 60
degrees C.  While we may scorch our lips or tongue, a sip of hot coffee
isn't generally viewed as lethal.  That provides a perfect lead-in to
the mechanism for radiation damage, which  depends on the spatial
distribution of the energy as well as the total energy.  It's also a
pretty good lead-in for discussing microdosimetry.

While I can see the usefulness of these types of comparison for
explaining biological effects to people with some previous knowledge of
radiation, I'm still not sure how these comparisons helps the public
understand radiation any better.  From a perspective of perceived
biological risk, if 5 rem = 1 second of 4-watt light, then 400 rads  =
80 seconds of 4-watt light.  What does this mean?   While the energy
comparison is valid, I doubt the public is interested in that aspect.

Making more watts to light those 4-watt bulbs in the Carolinas.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company
Harris Energy and Environmental Center