Re: ALARA Reviews at DOE Facilities

Dave Biela wrote:

> "...Work area removable contamination greater than 100 times the releasable contamination levels in Table 2-2".
>
> If you are removing a small section of pipe that had contamination in it exceeding these levels, would your site require a formal ALARA review?

Not unless your work area is inside the pipe.  Don't mean to be facetious, but I interpret 312(3)(c) for work areas only (as stated), rather than the internals of items in the work area.  No, we would not require a formal ALARA review.

But we were also fortunate to not have the RadCon manual in our contract. :-)

Scott

--

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
schwahn@jlab.org