RE: Biographical Info Request

	 Arjun Makhijani is the author of _Nuclear_Wastelands_ , which
is a survey of weapons complex sites.  It is a compendium of articles by
a number of researchers, and does not address nuclear medicine or the
use of nuclear power at all.

	I recently read it at the behest of an 'anti' I was
corresponding with, and found that the articles by  Arjun Makhijani and
his co-researchers tended to use prejudicial language - "traditionally
oppressed minorities" being an example.  Other researcher's articles did
not seem to use this tactic markedly.  His summary, which I had the
impression could have been written before the rest of the book, and
perhaps was, came to a series of ten conclusions. Several of them I
could agree with, such as more openness concerning data not related to
national security; some were nice in theory but sociologically myopic,
such as dismantling existing weapons and placing the components in safe
storage (usable but not in ready status); and some I disagreed with
emphatically, such as disposing of plutonium rather than using it for
peaceful means.

	Several of the essays drew conclusions from comparison of groups
which appeared to me to be "apples and oranges", but I can't say this
was done with the intent to skew the conclusions.

	In summation, I did not find the book to be blindly anti-nuke,
but to be subtly warped to the main author's prejudices.

	Dave Neil
	neildm@id.doe.gov