RE: Caldicott conference this weekend Sept. 26/27 1998

Title: RE: Caldicott conference this weekend Sept. 26/27 1998

I too attended the STAR conference.  My attendance was limited to Saturday.

As a radiation protection professional, I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to Dr. Raabe for his willingness to attend and address what he knew would be a biased and hostile audience.

The following is "soap box time and if you are on a tight time schedule, I suggest that you may want to hit the "delete key".

The best observation that I can draw from the meeting is that a lack of respect and poor relational attitude between the parties of a discussion leads to poor understanding of the topic and a hostile response.  I felt it was evident that some of the proponents of the STAR program felt that they have not been dealt with in a truthful, sincere and respectful manner.  The attitude they in turn developed towards many of the professional radiation protection professionals has resulted in the perception by the current nuclear professionals that the proponents of STAR are not truthful, sincere or respectful.

The end result is that the nuclear professional may initially reject some data contrary to what is the current scientific belief and the proponent adopting the attitude of "what does he know about radiation" for those disagreeing with their position.  Neither attitude will be beneficial for society.  The radiation professional may alienate those he is tasked with protecting and the proponent may cause an undue societal burden.

Dr. Raabe certainly did his part to try to reduce this communication gap.

Clearly ... mine and mine alone ...

Thank you for the time and consideration ( of soap box time )

Ron LaVera
lavera.r@nypa.gov