RE: Dose Correlation (rads to watts per second)

Radsafers,

This is not such a crazy analogy. While I was on FUSRAP, a citizen in New
Jersey suggested that we use the uranium-contaminated soils as a power
source--to separate the radioactivity for use in batteries. I did a similar
calculation that showed the energy being emitted by all of the uranium plus
daughters in the several million cubic yards of contaminated soils would
only supply enough power for a couple of 100 watt light bulbs (I apologize
to the math-oriented (insert smiling emoticon here) as I don't have the
numbers that I used.)

I have seen this idea raised before, using isotopes as the power source in
batteries. Perhaps it is feasible to collect the charges being generated
directly as current. However, the activities that would be needed for any
significant current are incredible.

Hopefully no opinions, but if there are they are mine.

Roger Halsey, CHP
(423) 220-2143
mailto:rlhalsey@bechtel.com