RE: Dose Correlation (rads to watts per second) -Reply

Roger,

You are partly correct.  The activities need for a significant current from an
isotope-powered battery are not incredible, but they are expensive.  Quite a
number of such batteries have been produced, predominantly as pacemakers.  The
RTG on the Cassini mission was of widespread interest. A Megacurie source of
Pu-238 do cost more than most of us care to spend for a battery, even a long-lasting
one.

Before we discount radioisotopes as heat sources, however, it is well to remember
that it is the heating of the earth by radioactivity in the depths of the earth that
makes the earth warm enough to support life as we know it.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov