Re: Statistics Question (Bioassay)

     Tom Labone (from Savannah River) has done some work in this area.  He
     actually drafted a paper called the "The Estimation of Confidence
     Bands for Bioassay Data" (I don't know if he ever published it).

     Basically, he establishes confidence bands around the bioassay model's
     excretion prediction, using the model and the actual bioassay data.
     He gives a simple tritium example in his paper, but I am sure it is
     applicable to other radionuclides.  Additional bioassay data which
     falls outside the 95% confidence bands may be indicative of a "new"
     intake.  However, you should also consider the error associated with
     the bioassay sample analysis, itself, and whether the model is fitting
     the first intake adequately.  Other statistical test (i.e. runs,
     residuals) can help in determining this.  This method assumes that the
     bioassay model is "correct" for the bioassay samples.  Most internal
     dosimetrist realize that adjustment of the models parameters may
     provide a better fit and may negate any second intake from
     consideration.

     I have found that stripping one intake from another is not always
     justify.  You may end up with some net negative bioassay results.
     Again, you are assuming the model is "correct".  In some cases, it is
     better to use all the data.  In most cases, this will provide a
     conservative estimate of intake and dose over the stripping method.

     I don't think there is a quick and simple method to apply to all
     cases.  You may have to evaluate the case by several methods, in order
     to provide a conservative and defensible dose estimate.

     Thanks

     Mike Soldano, CHP
     Fluor Daniel Fernald