Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant Unit 1 Reaches Milestone

CONGRATS to Diablo Canyon....  Positive news on the wire
services!!!

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 28, 1998--
Pacific Gas and Electric Company announced today that
Unit 1 of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant reached a
significant milestone that reflects superior levels of safety and
operating efficiency.

On Saturday, September 26, 1998, Unit 1 achieved 482 days of
continuous operation. This means that for the last 16 months the
unit has produced electricity for 1 million Californians without
stopping.

This sets a record for days of continuous operation at the plant.
The previous record of 481 days was set in 1991 by Unit 2.

Diablo Canyon Vice President and Plant Manager Dave Oatley
said, ``This record is a clear indication that we continue to operate
the plant in a safe and efficient manner. Milestones like this one
are not reached by cutting corners or ignoring safety. The credit
goes to all of our employees who are working to see that Diablo
Canyon remains a benefit to the community for many years to
come.''

Unit 1 is scheduled to continue operating until February of next
year when it will be shut down for a month for refueling and
maintenance. Unit 2 has operated continuously for six months
since its last refueling outage was completed in March of this year.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer