FW: Nashville Tennessean; Mortality vs. Morbidity Studies-Reply

Being in Tennessee we have seen alot about the illnesses in Oak Ridge.
Every politician running for office has brought in someone to look at the
problem.  When commenting on this I think it is important to keep 2 things
in mind:

1.  The article says that the illnesses are found around "nuclear facilities"
implying that they are radiation related, however, it goes on to say that it
could be chemical/toxic material that is the cause.  Lets be careful as
radiationn safety professionals that we don't add to the implication that
it's radiation related by being too defensive.

2.  At least here in TN the individuals involved are, from all the studies
and testing, truely ill.  That doesn't in anyway mean it is related to
radiation or even the nuclear facility but it is fact.  So I caution that we
don't belittle the statements that people are sick.

I am in no way defending the article.  I see many problems with it also.  I
am just trying to add some thought to the discussion.

Roger Fenner
Division of Radiological Health
State of TN
fennerrf@mail.state.tn.us