Re[4]: 137Cs check sources -Reply

     Ted de Castro wrote:

This particular tube and circuit would top out at about 100 mr/hr but to
test its high field response I ran it to about 1 megaR/hr (a cm or so from
a 2500 Ci Co-60 source.  It still read 100 mr/hr.

Any manufacturer who knows anything about GMs and instrumentation will use
non paralyzing circuits.  For a while - and long after this problem was
identified and solved - they would even advertise this as a spec.  It is so
commonplace now that it is hardly even mentioned.

BUT many who remember how it used to be still bring it up as a problem.

     Okay, am I missing something here??? An old GM instrument would
     saturate and essentially peg low if exposed to a very high radiation
     level. Now, at least the one Ted "tested", will read about 100 mR/h
     when exposed to MegaR/h levels. I guess I don't understand, why is
     this any better than reading zero?!? It is still a potentially BIG
     problem if this GM instrument is used in a very high radiation
     environment. It doesn't seem to me that this problem is "solved"
     whatsoever by the non-paralyzing circuit.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com