Re: fluoroscopy exposure

Bob Scott stated the following:

> If these people wear two badges (under apron at waist and >
outside apron at
> neck) then EDE for external radiation equals reported waist dose
> multiplied by 1.5 plus reported neck dose multiplied by 0.04.
>  A doc would have to get 16 2/3 REM a year under the first case to reach 5
> REM EDE, and over 25 REM collar dose (assuming 10% under apron, which is
> more than observed, really) to attain about 5 rem EDE in the second case.

Per the above, how does one circumvent the issue of maintaining
the dose to the lens of the eye below regulatory limits? While there
is an eye dose limit in 10CFR20, many states still maintain
quarterly dose limits, none for the eye. In this case, the lens of the
eye is another location considered as part of the whole body dose.
While EDE is a dose weighting based on the deep or whole body
dose, there is no EDE for either the eye or shallow dose (skin of
the whole body). In my opinion, while an individual can lower their
whole body dose to the point they meet regulatory limits, with this
dose reduction, there is no reduction for the eye, and for the
states, this would be 1.25 rem for the eye as well.

Comments from anyone in the state govt. or users within the states
who do allow EDE calculations?

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer