Summary of E600 Responses

First I want to thank all that responded. I apologize if I didn't get back
to you personally but appreciate your taking the time to reply. Next if I
mis-represented your opinions, don't worry there were no attributable quotes
so the Eberline lawyers won't be able to find you. I have destroyed all my
notes and e-mail but have kept the blue dress.

Below are pros, cons plus some miscellaneous info I got from the responders.
Feel free to send more comments if you have more to add or disagree with
some of the responses. My e-mail address is at the end.

Summary of responses (about 8 responders) to E-600 Inquiry

Pros

We have a large number of these in use. I'd buy more with no hesitation if I
needed more instruments.

programmable at your PC to accomplish a wide array of different tasks and
measurements
     - data logging
     - rugged and reliable

We've not really needed any service; they've been very reliable in the
field, which for us is primarily outside.

Calibration is pretty conventional. Eberline also supplies software that you
install on a PC, then hook the E-600 up to program its functions as you
need.

Cons

digital readout (techs like to look at a meter instead of listening to the
audio)
     - without effective training to the users, I found that most
techs were very reluctant to switch to it from their old "dumb" 	analog
frisker instrument

I just finished a project and tried to use E600's for simultaneous
alpha/beta counting.  Found the following problems.
1) the cable and connections are flimsy. They do not hold up to heavy use,
nor are they HP tech proof.
2) Calibration of the instrument for simultaneous counting is touchy. A
change of 1 microvolt meant the difference in seeing and not-seeing alphas.
3) the inline data module for some probes is hard to replace if broken.
4) Data logging capabilities are done individually for the alpha and beta
channel. For every set of alpha/beta readings to be recorded, 2 recording
locations are used.

Over all, I think I would like to see the Ludlum 4360 data logger inaction
before buying an E600

very unstable in areas that are less then equal to a laboratory environment

Can't recall survey data points once taken in field - must download first

Audible response limitations in high ambient gamma fields - limit up to 4000
cps (Pete Editorial Note: I asked responder whether they had any problems
with this in low background ,release survey type situations and he said no
so it appears this may be a problem in areas where shield surveys or other
higher than environmental rad levels exist.)

Does not allow separate display for alpha and beta if using dual probe

Must have computer to calibrate

Circular buffer will cause "over-write" of data without warning

Eberline had some QA problems related to built in board code and software

Additional Comments

I've found the PRO's to greatly outweigh the CON's, once we figured  out how
to train the techs to use it.

One thing to be aware of if you buy them: make certain that the "firmware"
installed in the instrument is Y2K compliant and that all of the instruments
you buy have the exact same version! I think that Eberline has gotten better
about this issue but make sure before you buy.

Pete C
pcollopy@mjwcorp.com
MJW Corporation
338 Harris Hill Road