Re: FW: Tennessean Story

I've enjoyed reading the many emails on this thread.   Here's my two cents worth.

I saw this article when it appeared in USAToday a day or two ago.   I found it quite interesting, although not from the radiation or chemical angle.   I observed a  correlation between the types illnesses and complaints affecting individuals reported in the "Tennessean" article and those illnesses and complaints reported by our veterans returning from the Persian Gulf.   The symptoms and illnesses reported by both groups are nearly identical.

Even more interesting are the results of a recently released study involving  vets who were on active duty during ODS and DID NOT deploy to the Persian Gulf.  They have symptoms and complaints that closely resemble those of vets who WERE deployed to the Gulf.   Its a remarkable finding.    I hope I'm not overstating the study's findings by saying that the authors believe the common denominator  is not exposure to chemical agents, DU, DEET, sand fleas, mycoplasmas, decontamination agents, inoculations or other "stuff."
(I don't think the authors considered daily exposure to Meals Ready to Eat (MRE)  in their study!    :)    )  The causal agent is believed to be stress.

Theres a lot of new science on the effects of stress on individual health.   No need to bore everyone, but the studies show that there are a whole lot of bad things that happens when humans experience stressful situations.   Amazingly,  many of the symptoms and illnesses caused by stress look like those found in the "Tennesseans" and the Persian Gulf veterans.  Some, such as lung problems (asthma or allergic reactions), may be more directly related to prolonged exposure to smoke from oil well fires.

I believe that  the "Tennesseans"  have real illnesses.  ODS vets I know have real symptoms and health related complaints and their complaints are closely related to their service in the PG.   To date there have been no clear answers as to the cause of Persian Gulf War illnesses.  Its a mystery.  As in any mystery there is a host of "ususal suspects" to be rounded up and questioned.   I'm betting that good science will prove that the "perp" in the vast majority of cases is, indeed, "Old Man Stress."    Nothing exotic, just the old bod letting us know it does not like some of the things we do to it.    It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Jim Myers

My thoughts only!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !