Subject: Principal Investigators
Author:  "Richard; Mack L" <mrichar@iupui.edu> at Internet_Gateway
Date:    10/6/98 3:44 PM

Dear Denis & Other Interested Radsafers:

A number of years ago, we changed the term "Principal Investigator (or PI)"
to "Permit Holder (or PH)" for the very reason stated by a couple of other
RSOs.  The research community sees the PI as the individual holding the
purse strings for one or more research groups.  Our definition was that the
PI (now called the PH) is the individual responsible for radiation safety
within a given research group.  This was a source of constant confusion.

The Permit Holder (PH) term is not shared by any others at the university.
To qualify as a PH, one must have faculty or professional status (i.e., not
a technician) and previous experience (usually at least 1 year) utilizing
radioactive materials.  Credentials of all prospective PHs are reviewed by
the radiation safety staff and radiation safety committee.  Prospective PHs
who lack appropriate training and/or experience may be required to attend
our Radiation Safety Course (about 9 lecture hours plus an exam) and solicit
a fully authorized PH (who must agree in writing) to serve as a Co-PH for a
time period established by the committee.

All prospective radionuclide users (we call them Authorized Users or AUs),
including PHs are initially required to attend our radiation safety
orientation program (about 2 hours in length).  If  prospective AUs or PHs
have previous training and experience, they may attempt to "test out" of the
aforementioned 10 hour course.  If they lack such training and experience or
fail to achieve at least 85% on the test, they are required to attend the
longer course.  This procedure has worked quite well for a number of years.

Anyone with questions or comments can feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Mack L. Richard, M.S.
Radiation Safety Officer - Ind. Univ. Medical Center
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu