Re: Question on steam generator contamination

     >Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:13:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Chan-Hyeong Kim
     ><chkim@trinity.tamu.edu> To: radsafe <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
     >Subject: Question on steam generator contamination
     >radsafers:
     >Do anyone of you know the level and nuclides of radioactive
     >contaminants in a steam generator channel head? It would be also
     >appreciated if you'd let me know where I can get this kind of
     >information for various types of plants and who is an expert on this.
     >Thanks in advance.
     >Regards,
     >Chan

     Chan,

     I have done in-situ gamma spectrometry measurements on many occasions
     in steam generator channel heads. The radiation field is typically
     dominated by Co-58 and Co-60. Dose rates vary from a few mSv / h in
     the
     German Konvoi plants, to 100 mSv / h or more in some older plants with
     substantial levels of high cobalt alloys. Fission product is usually
     insignificant in comparison with steel activation products.

     There is substantial literature available in the public domain. Try
     eg:

      Bergmann, C A & Perock, J D in Proc. BNES Conf on Water Chemistry of
     Nuclear Reactor Systems 6 Vol 2 paper 16, 1992.

      There are several papers in the 1996 7th BNES Water Chem conference
     which
     would be worth looking at.

      If you have access to EPRI reports, look at TR-104180.

     It would be worth contacting Keith Garbett at British Energy
     (k.garbett@ne.british-energy.com) or Malcolm Pick at BNFL Magnox
     Generation Division (m.e.pick@magnox.co.uk) who have done extensive
     studies on PWR water chemistry and its consequences on ORE.

     I'd be happy to discuss further off-list.

     Regards,

     Martin

     Martin Phillips
     Plant & Environmental Radiological Measurements
     BNFL Magnox Generation Division
     Berkeley Centre
     Berkeley
     Gloucestershire