Radioactive Bugs

I agree with Melissa et al.  These bugs are nothing new.  It reminds me of
an occurrence at west coast facility several years ago.  Certain area
radiation monitors (ARM) kept sporadically alarming. Follow-up surveys
always showed only normal levels of radiation.  Some thought the monitors
were 'haunted' since they always passed performance and source checks.
Finally the culprit was identified when a millipede with a 1" radiation
reading of 80 mrem/hr was located.  After a visit from the exterminator, the
ARMs were exorcised of their demons.  Apparently when the millipede traveled
across or near the detectors, the alarms actuated, but by the time the
technician got there they were gone.

Harry
Harold.Reynolds@RFETS.gov
303.966.2708