PA Radon

An interesting insight in the article that said that everyone in
Pennsylvania should have their homes tested for radon because all of
PA's counties have had elevated findings.

Here is some information from the SEER report published by the
National Cancer Institute.  The values are average annual
age-adjusted lung and bronchus cancer mortality rates by state for
1987-1991.  The rating system lists 1 as the highest level to 51, the
lowest.  Washington, DC is included.  The rates are per 100,000 and
are age-adjusted to the 1970 standard population.  The odds ratio is
something I added.  It's a simple ratio of the state's rate to that
of KY.  The average rate for all U.S. states and DC, by the way, is 49.3.
State                   Rate                Rank         Odds Ratio
Kentucky             65.5                   1                     1
Pennsylvania      47.9                   31                   0. 73
Colorado             36.4                  48                    0.56
New Mexico       34.9                  49                    0.53
Hawaii                34.3                   50                    0.52
Utah                   21.9                    51                    0.33

You may use these data however you wish.  I have some problems with
the EPA's stand on radon.
(1)  "Radon IS the second leading cause of cancer."  The IS suggests
scientific certainty, which I do not believe holds for all data.  It
wouldn't chaff me so badly if they said "Radon MAY be the second
leading cause of cancer." or "Radon is the second leading cause of
cancer IF the EPA model of risk is accurate, taking into account that
primary data set consists of miners who were exposed to ennumerable
lung contaminants that are potential carcinogens."
(2)  "Radon causes 7000 to 30,000 cancers each year."  As a minimum
the bottom number should be ZERO.  The same goes for the FRG-13
report.
(3)  The EPA says that radon awareness will save X number of lives
each year and yet there is no method to measure the effectiveness.
It the rates go down they extoll the effectiveness of their program.
If the rates go up or remain the same, they say other factors were
involved.  The EPA should have specific means of measuring the
effectiveness in reducing radon levels. For example, the Pennsylvania
rates should decrease by 5% over a set period of time in addition to
any decrease seen from the effectiveness of smoking ceasation and
prevention programs.

Of course, I agree that the EPA should encourage homeowners to test
their abodes for radon; however, their tactics are scarier than radon
itself.

Tom

My opinions.
Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Radiation Safety Officer

Voice:  (937) 775-2169
Fax:  (937) 775-3301
E-mail:  tmohaupt@wright.edu
Address:  104 Health Sciences Bldg, Wright State University
          Dayton, OH 45435