Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study

Ron -

The Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study is finished with the risk assessment using
contemporary radon gas measurements to infer past exposures.  The preliminary
findings were presented at the American Statistical Association Meetings in
SanDiego over the summer and at the joint CRCPD/USEPA/AARST meetings in Cherry
Hill, NJ a few weeks ago.  Six papers have either been published or are in
press concerning the study.  The major findings paper will be submitted on
Monday.  It is currently undergoing final review of the co-authors.  If anyone
is interested in the references for the papers in press to date, please email
me directly at (bill-field@uiowa.edu).  Obviously, the risk we found from
radon exposure pales in comparison to the lung cancer risk posed by smoking.
We noted for the Iowa study, a population attributable risk for smoking of
about 80%.  However, the findings need to go through external peer review.

We have also performed measurements of radon progeny and historic radon
progeny at each study home.  We are currently analyzing this data and plan a
separate risk analysis based on radon progeny exposure down the road a bit.

Regards, Bill Field

bill-field@uiowa.edu
Department of Preventive Medicine
Division of Epidemiology