Re: Science Center Display

The Bradbury Science Museum (http://www.lanl.gov/external/museum/)
here at LANL has some exhibits that are interactive and hands-on
related to common sources (e.g. fiesta ware and lantern mantles)
and as I recall one on the difference in distance that alpha, beta,
and gamma travel.

With regards to other Science Museums I've visited the only exhibit
that stands out in my memory is a continuously running cloud chamber
at the Exploratorium in San Francisco.  It wasn't of the interactive
or hands-on nature and seemed to have been shoved into a nook.  But
having tried and tried to get one to work many years ago it was
nice to see a large one with many tracks appearing before one's eyes
on a continuous basis.  I thought it would have been nice to be able
to move a beta source up to it and see an increase in tracks being
formed.

A while back I looked at trying to get some internal or Dept of Ed
funding for setting up an interactive 'radiation' theme demo over the
Internet but got little response other than no dinero or we don't fund
DOE National Labs.  Let me know if want information on that line.

>Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:49:56 -0400
>From: Rhonda Rawls <rawlsr@cfcc.cc.fl.us>
>Subject: Science Center Display
>
>We are updating the radiation display at our Discovery Science Center in
>Ocala, Florida.
>
>Any suggestions on interactive & hands-on displays for 4th grade - 12th
>grade students?
>
>Rhonda Rawls
>rawlsr@cfcc.cc.fl.us

Donivan Porterfield              (505) 667-4710
Los Alamos National Laboratory   (505) 665-4737 fax
MS G740, NMT-1 (Analytical Chemistry)
Los Alamos, NM  87545             dporterfield@lanl.gov