Re: Radon in spas versus homes

It appears to me that the Russian spa populations fall into the 200-400
WLM range, if they were treated on working day schedules.  If we are to
ascribe to linear no-threshold theories of radiation carcinogenesis,
founded in the Moolgavkar-Knudsen-Venzon or similar models, then dose is
the applicable variable.   Dose-rate x time is expected to show
recirpocity over a significant range of dose.  Of course, reciprocity
breaks down in the extremes (i.e., using H&N cancer responses to predict
low-dose and low-dose-rate regions.  Hence the DDREF.)

While questions of whether or not a Russian study could be performed as a
prospective cohort study or a (retrospective) case-control study are
ultimately needed before the research can be mounted, a more fundamental
question pertains to the dose-rate issue, here using WL as a surrogate
for dose rate: Is 950 WL for 8 to 14 days too
high of an exposure rate for use in comparison with the (e.g.) mining
data? Certainly, the cumulative exposure (perhaps a few hundred WLM) puts
this cohort within the range of exposures experienced in the mining
cohorts (i.e., BEIR IV and IV).

An optimal approach to resolving this might be to use a mechanistic risk
assessment.  What do the wealth of in vitro and animal studies say
about DDREF for alphas?  If an answer to this question puts us on firm
scientific footing (i.e., DDREF = 1 in this range), then we could address
the particulars of mounting the epi study.

...Just a thought...
	Gregg (hgc2+@pitt.edu)
H. Gregg Claycamp, Ph.D., C.H.P.
Assoc. Prof. and Assoc. Chair