Abscopal effects on critical organs

Hello Radsafers:

I've been working on a project that involves predicting the quantities of
airborne radionuclides that it would take to produce an acute lethality
within 60 days.  This involves estimating how much immersion and inhalation
it would take to produce a lethal dose to the bone marrow, small intestine,
and lungs.  The calculations have included cross talk, i.e., transport of
photons from noncritical organs to critical organs.  A reviewer insists
that this approach is flawed because it doesn't take into account indirect
effects.  Direct effects on a noncritical organ will influence the lethal
dose on the critical organs.  I have been unable to find any data to
substantiate or refute this abscopal effect on lethal doses.  Can anyone
shed some light on this question, preferably with citations in available.

Thanks,
David Abbott
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
abbott@washops.llnl.gov