Re: Radon in spas versus homes -Reply

In a message dated 10/15/98 11:22:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
MFORD@pantex.com writes:

<< if ill people are receiving radon
 therapy (high concentration over short periods)-- either in radon
 spas or radon hospitals in Europe and Russia or in old U mines in
 the US -- and the end result is that they find relief from their ailments
 (documented case histories in many instances), how can we
 maintain that radon is a carcinogen at levels as low as 4 pCi/L ? >>

Are you saying the relief they find is from radon exposure?  If so, what
ailments are being relieved by radon exposure?  From personal experience, I
know I feel better when I sit in a hot tub (waterborne radon concentrations
less than 2 pCi/L) for a 20 minutes.  Could it be that the warm water is
improving their symptoms?

I know that total lymphoid irradiation is used to knock out the immune system
for some people with autoimmune disease.  Do you think the immune system is
suppressed via the radon exposure in the spa patrons?

 Bill Field
bill-field@uiowa.edu