Re: Training For RCT's

In my previous incarnation as an HP Training Manager, I set up a program
that required new HP Techs to pass the RCT core exam as a condition of
employment. Prospective HPs were provided with a self-study guide to prepare
for the exam prior to reporting for in-processing. I did this because we
were in a construction environment and did not have weeks/months to bring
new techs up to speed. We hired techs based on resume reviews and interviews
and only brought in experienced techs. I would have done things differently
if we were bringing people in "off the street" to become techs.

After a tech's base knowledge was verified as meeting the minimum DOE
requirements, the tech was issued an "RCT UI" (Under Instruction) card and
paired with a fully qualified RCT in the field to do their practical factors
(Job Performance Measures - JPMs) and learn how we did things. They were
issued a Site Specifics study guide to prepare for the site specific exams
and given 90 days to complete the remainder of their quals. The JPMs were
designed to be done in the field as part of their normal HP support work and
they were not allowed to perform a JPM task (take surveys, document surveys,
etc) without supervision by a qualified RCT until they had been signed off
on that task by an approved RCT.

The entire process was repeated every 2 years. Because of some bad
experiences with waiving RCT core for RRPTs, I required them to take the
core exam just like everyone else. Because of the N441.1 removal of the
requirement to teach the entire RCT program, I did not waive the core exam
for holders of cards from other sites unless I had contacted the HP Training
Manager at the other site and knew that they taught the entire DOE RCT
program.

Oral Boards usually took 1.5 - 2 hours although they could be shorter or
longer depending on how well the tech was doing. The board members included
the HP Manager and two members of the senior HP staff (Site HP Supervisor,
Dosimetry Manager, etc.). The DOE Site Rep was invited to sit in as well,
but not as a voting member. The board members did not include anyone from
the tech's direct management. The board content was split into two parts - a
knowledge verification section and a scenario. All RCT material was fair
game and the tech had to pass both parts to become fully qualified.

Hope this helps.

Gary Damschen, RRPT
gary@stepenv.com
Senior Web Developer