Subject: Re: Radon therapy versus questionable medical uses -Reply-RE
Author:  RADPROJECT@aol.com at hubsmtp
Date:    10/17/98 10:49 AM

Martin_Haas@notes.ymp.gov writes:

<>

I believe the original post about peanut butter is making reference to the
long-term theoretical carcinogenic risks of eating peanuts due to their almost
ubiquitous aflatoxin content due to fungal action. There is a certain average
level of aflatoxin, a potent known liver carcinogen in peanuts. In certain
widely reported, but unusual situations [feeds allowed to get moldy due to
damp conditions], the aflatoxin levels in milk as well have been quite
elevated, and milk has had to be destroyed--when the aflatoxin levels were
detected. I'm sure that there are many times elevated aflatoxin levels are not
detected and no action is taken. How this level of excess cancer risk due to
aflatoxin in peanuts, milk, or other foods compares to the risk of any given
level of radon exposure is open to debate.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
radproject@usa.net
(401) 727-4947