RE: RCT Training

Greetings, Radsafers!  This is a composite reply to a few postings I've
seen so far on this subject.

On the issue of RCT training - I have "inherited" the position of Health
Physics Trainer for MK-Ferguson of Oak Ridge, so I'll try to explain how
we do things.  Our training consists of self-study of the DOE Core
material and of our own Site Specifics material, for a grand total of 3
written tests (1 Core, 2 Site).  We then have JPM's (job performance
measurements), which are done in the presence of a qualified senior/lead
technician who has to sign off that, yes, the RCT candidate knows what
they're doing. Then, to complete their qualification card, they have an
interview with the Site HP Supervisor, who generally quizzes them.  If
it is their initial (full) RCT qual, or (full) RCT requal, they also
interview w/the HP Manager.  We don't do oral boards anymore due to lack
of available personnel to sit on the boards (we run VERY lean,
personnel-wise), and 10CFR835 does not require them, only the RCM, which
is now a guidance document.  Qualification is every 2 yrs.

We do have separate levels of qualification as a RCT, which limit what
the RCT at a particular level can do without supervision, i.e., limited
job duties.  We do not grant "immunity" to taking the Core for passing
the NRRPT exam, but do accept Core training from other facilities,
provided that we get something verifiable that they have passed it w/in
the past 2 years.

As to what if someone fails to qualify as a (full) RCT, I would grade
their exam(s) based upon the next lower level of RCT qualification to
see if they qual to its standard.  The RCT can then upgrade their
qualification at a later date, after remedial study sessions and/or
self-study.  We allow them 2 attempts to pass - after failing twice,
it's up to the HP Manager to decide if they stay and try again, or if
they head somewhere else.  The candidate also has 90 days from initial
start of employment to qual, with the option of granting them a 30 day
extension.

When we did oral boards in the beginning, they were _long_  - mine was
4.5 hours, with 2 Site HP Supervisors and our Dosimetry Manager on the
board.  It consisted of computations, general knowledge questions
(definitions, how a particular meter works, etc.), site specific
questions, and a comprehensive scenario.

DISCLAIMER: this has not been reviewed by my employer, my Boss at home,
DOE, or the guy in the next office, and is purely my opinion and
interpretation of our program.  Thank you, drive through.

Paul J. Mink, EIT, RRPT
Health Physics Trainer
MK-Ferguson of Oak Ridge Co.
P.O. Box 2011