TNRCC Considers Sierra Blanca License today

TNRCC Considers Sierra Blanca License - (AUSTIN) -- The Texas
Natural Resource Conservation Commission meets in Austin today
to consider a permit for a proposed low-level nuclear waste dump
near Sierra Blanca. The three-member panel will review
recommendations from several experts and then make a decision.
It can reject the state's application, issue the license or order more
studies. Opponents claim the site... located 18-miles from the
Mexico border in West Texas... would endanger the health of future
generations.

----------

Thursday October 22, 10:25 am Eastern Time

Company Press Release

SOURCE: Tennessee Valley Authority

TVA Nuclear Sets Generation Record For Third Straight Year

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- TVA's nuclear power
plants cranked out the most electricity ever during fiscal year 1998,
helping the power system meet record demands during the hot
summer and breaking the TVA nuclear generation record for the
third consecutive year.

TVA's three nuclear plants -- two in Tennessee and one in Alabama
-- produced more than 44 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity, which
is more than enough to supply seven cities the size of
Chattanooga, Tennessee, for an entire year. The previous record
set last year was about 42 billion kWh.

``Dependable, reliable nuclear power plants are a valuable asset to
the TVA power system, and we really counted on the nuclear units
when we met the record electricity demand this past summer,''
said TVA Chairman Craven Crowell. ``I want to commend all TVA
Nuclear employees for their efforts in helping TVA maintain its
competitive position as a safe and reliable supplier of power in the
Tennessee Valley.''

The nuclear plants supplied about 27 percent of TVA's total
generation during fiscal year 1998. Browns Ferry, Sequoyah, and
Watts Bar nuclear power plants all exceeded plant generation
goals, and Sequoyah and Watts Bar set generation records by
producing more than 18 billion kWh and 9 billion kWh, respectively.

``TVA Nuclear employees had an excellent fiscal year keeping our
plants running safely, reliably and efficiently,'' said TVA Chief
Nuclear Officer John Scalice. ``Our performance and generation
output continue to improve because of our focus on short,
successful refueling outages and close attention to operating and
maintaining the plants in first-class condition. Scalice said that
TVA Nuclear exceeded the system-wide generation plan 33 days
early and by about 3.2 billion kWh, which is equivalent to one
nuclear unit operating at full power for 119 days.

TVA operates five nuclear units, two at Sequoyah in Soddy-Daisy,
Tenn., two at Browns Ferry in Athens, Ala., and one at Watts Bar
in Spring City, Tenn. Sequoyah and Browns Ferry earned the
highest possible rating from industry evaluators earlier this year for
overall excellence in plant operation.

TVA is the nation's largest producer of electricity, and its power
system is self-financed. TVA provides power to large industries and
159 power distributors that serve about 8 million
consumers in seven southeastern states.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer