Re: ICRP/NCRP Risk Factor Use

I realize that many organizations use collective dose and risk, but in some
cases, this use seems to not make practical sense.  For example, we all
agree that dropping a 1000 pound rock on someone will crush them.  Does
this mean that dropping two 500 pound rocks on two people will only kill
one of them?  Or that throwing 16,000 one-ounce rocks at 16,000 different
people will crush one of them?  To me, neither of these scenarios make
sense.  Similarly, I think that determining risk based on collective dose
does not always make sense.

My apologies if this repeats earlier posts - I was away last week and did
not follow earlier postings on this thread.

Andy

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
RSO, University of Rochester
(716) 275-3781 (voice)
(716) 256-0365 (fax)
akaram@safety.rochester.edu

http://www.rochester.edu/Admin/EHAS/rshpage.htm

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled  but a fire to be lighted"
 Plutarch