RE: ICRP/NCRP Risk Factor Use

Mike,

I would tend to think that neither interpretation would be correct.  As
you state in your premise, the risk factor is given in units of fatal
cancers per Sv.   Therefore, the product of the risk factor and the
effective dose is not a probability but is the number of fatal cancers
expected in the population, regardless of its size.  This obviously
presents some logical problems for situations when you have a population
that is not uniformly irradiated or a population with a small number of
people who receive such a high dose that the nonstochastic effects are
predominant.

So in your example, based on some limiting assumptions I would say that
the interpretation is that in a population with a collective dose of 1
Sv, the expected number (not probability) of fatal cancers is 0.04 or is
much less than 1.  Therefore, we do not expect, though we may not rule
out depending on our philosophy on LNT, any fatal cancers in that
population.  In a population with a collective dose of 100 Sv (again
with some limiting assumptions), we would expect 4 fatal cancers in the
population.

If I'm off base, please let me know.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP