Welding/Grinding Respiratory Protection Requirements

     I am looking for any guidance/requirements your facility may have on
     the selection of respiratory protection equipment used when welding
     and/or grinding on contaminated materials.  Specifically, I am looking
     for an association between beta-gamma (limiting isotope is Sr-90) and
     transuranic (limiting isotope is Pu-239) contamination levels and the
     type of respiratory protection equipment you would require (e.g., air
     purifying, airline mask, air-fed hood, etc.).  Any technical basis for
     the association (work place study, historical, engineering judgment)
     is also of interest.  Thanks for your help.

     Dennis Hadlock
     Health Physicist
     Westinghouse Savannah River Company
     803.208.7134