HEAT STRESS/Radsafe: help!

     People,

     I'm certain many of you have been caught up in the heat stress/stay
     times vs. PPE issues in which I am currently embroiled.  I'm seeking
     friendly advice, anecdotes, ... anything that might help.

     Here's my situation (grossly simplified to cut down on bandwidth):

     CONTROLLING ISOTOOPE  thorium 230

     WASTE FORM:  product (heterogeneous), debris, and soil

     WASTE CONTAINERS:  covered pits in the ground

     PROJECT:  excavate pits, process material, load into railcars, ship
     off-site.  This is a DOE facility.

     PROCESSING FACILITY:  large building with high walls open at the top,
     roof, garage door openings at far ends, passive ridge roof ventilators
     on top.

     ANTI-CONTAMINATION CLOTHING:  double layer of coveralls (outer layer,
     disposable) and PAPRs (and gloves, booties, ...)

     PROBLEM:  heat stress and stay times.

     I am seeking ways to cut back on the PPE, but at best I think we'll
     only be able to trim it back a little (if I'm lucky, we'll be able to
     get it back to single coveralls and a full-face air purifying
     respirator).

     I am exploring innovative ways to get the workers as close to the work
     site as possible before having to don their anti-contamination
     clothing.

     I am currently against a physiological monitoring program to extend
     stay times due to the potential for cross-contamination, but I am
     interested in anyone's experience with this type of monitoring in the
     rigid environment of a thorium area.

     I am pretty much working in an environment where the workers have
     never been satisfied with cool suits or ice vests or any of that type
     of control, but I am open to suggestions regarding new products out
     there.

     Also, does anyone have any experience getting water to workers in a
     contamination area while ensuring radiological cleanliness?

     Any ideas?

     Thanks!

     David A. Levy, david.levy@fernald.gov
     Fernald, Ohio