Re: Occupational exposure to radon update

RADSAFERS

The following is a list of occupations that have the potential to result in
radon exposures exceeding those concentrations commonly encountered in homes
near the work site.  This list has been compiled to date with the help of
radsafers.  Thanks to all that have emailed me.  I enjoyed some of the
discussions that accompanied the suggestions and the personal insight some of
the radsafers shared.  If you can think of an occupation I have not included,
please email me at mailto:bill-field@uiowa.edu.

1.  Mining -- including hard rock, uranium, vanadium, phosphate and coal.

2. Workers remediating radioactive sites including uranium mill sites and mill
tailings.

3.  Radon mitigation contractors and testers

4.  Guides and care keepers of natural caves

5.  Employees of radon spas or health mines

6.  Phosphate fertilizer plant workers

7.  Oil refinery workers

8.  Utility tunnel workers

9.  Power plant workers including geothermal and coal

10.  Water plant operators (waterborne source)

11. Fish hatchery attendants (waterborne source)

12.  Incidental exposure in almost any occupation from local geological
sources

I would be interested in hearing whether or not other radsafers agree that
these are indeed occupations that expose workers to higher radon
concentrations than they may find in their home near their place of
employment.  Also, please email me directly if you can think of an occupation
not on the list.

Thanks again,

Bill Field
bill-field@uiowa.edu