RE: Material Security

You say,"The state proposes to have your fire doors between labs alarm when
opened."

1.  Frequent alarms during the work day would desensitize people to the real
purpose of fire alarms.

2.  Who will hear the alarms when no one is there?  When a tree falls in the
forest and no one is there to here it, does it make a sound?... (had to
throw that in)

An alarm shouldn't be necessary during normal work hours and ensuring all
materials are secure at the end of the day should be entirely reasonable.
There may well be times that no one is in the lab for short periods of time
with materials being accessible.  This is probably where the greatest risk
of procedural non-compliance would be.

Regulators, and people in general, often propose solutions to problems
without thinking of all of the resulting implications.  A reasonable
solution that can be adhered to consistently may well take a couple of
iterations to get it right.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com <mailto:glen.vickers@ucm.com>