RE: Occupational Exposure Limits for Radon Exposure

I'm currently away from my reference material, but the old 10CFR835 required
that exposures to radon and/or daughters above a dose equivalent of 100
mrem/year had to be accounted and documented.  We requested and received an
exemption (really an extension) of the 100 mrem/year exposure to radon/radon
daughters to 500 mrem/year through the DOE.  We went through the process of
assessing exposure over a long term with an active radon daughter measuring
device (Canadian make, AlphaNuclear).  This data allowed us to document that
occupational sampling would not be necessary.

Check with Riasp Madora at Fernald.  They were set up to conduct long term
(~1 month) air sampling for radon daughters, but I'm not sure whether they
have ever had to sample occupationally.

Kenny Fleming
knflemin@bechtel.com
(423) 220-2306