RE: Occupational Exposure Limits for Radon Exposure

November 11, 1998

I presume the following message refers to Effective Dose Equivalent, since
background radon and radon decay products found in air in the U.S. lead to
typical annual lung bronchial epithelial exposures from about 2,000 to
9,000 mrem.

Otto

****************************
At 02:37 PM 11/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm currently away from my reference material, but the old 10CFR835 required
>that exposures to radon and/or daughters above a dose equivalent of 100
>mrem/year had to be accounted and documented.  We requested and received an
>exemption (really an extension) of the 100 mrem/year exposure to radon/radon
>daughters to 500 mrem/year through the DOE.  We went through the process of
>assessing exposure over a long term with an active radon daughter measuring
>device (Canadian make, AlphaNuclear).  This data allowed us to document that
>occupational sampling would not be necessary.
>
>Check with Riasp Madora at Fernald.  They were set up to conduct long term
>(~1 month) air sampling for radon daughters, but I'm not sure whether they
>have ever had to sample occupationally.
>
>Kenny Fleming
>knflemin@bechtel.com
>(423) 220-2306

		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
              Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu