Re[2]: RHP Correspondence

Bill,

This message is forwarded to the list for those saying "Huh?" to your previous
reply regarding RHP Correspondence.

Your apology is welcome but not necessary.  Your prior misconception is not
uncommon.  "Correspondence" with respect to undergraduate and graduate education
still has a widespread, negative connotation in various professional and
academic communities.  Some of the "matchbook" varieties of "correspondence" or
"distance learning" programs are largely responsible for the negative image.
There are many less than acceptable undergrad and grad programs available but
there are also many fine programs offered by distance delivery as you are aware
of at least one.

As for the student-student and student-faculty interaction, such interaction
does take place but not in quite the same way as being on campus.  During two
lab courses at Ga Tech, I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet and work in
person with both campus and distance classmates.  In other courses, there was
more than plenty of interaction by phone, fax, e-mail, and mail with on and off
campus students.  Sometimes this was a less than optimum situation but overall I
feel the interaction was still pretty good.  Technology goes a long way toward
smoothing out the bumps of not actually being on campus with classmates in
person.

Henry