Re: Unsecured Labs

All,

At my university, the Project Managers Manual states that the project
manager is required to consult with the different departments of EH&S
prior to construction or renovations.  This does not usually happen
unless I/we get wind of the project and initiate a dialog.

As far as developing a friendly relationship with the project managers,
I meet with a group (including 3 project managers) every other friday
for lunch and they still won't come to me/us at the beginning of
projects.  They consider that they know it all and that they are the
responsible party so they dismiss EH&S including rad safety.

I think the best way is to have a good working relationship with the
researchers, Department Heads and Deans.  This way when there are new
projects or renovations in the offing, I can initiate a dialog with
project managers.  They don't like it, but it cuts down on costly
retrofits.

S.,
denny, rso
carnegie mellon university

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:34:28 -0600 (CST) LIPTONW@dteenergy.com wrote:

> It seems that the all construction or renovation projects which could
> involve
> radioactive material facilities should require a sign off by the RSO.
>
> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.
> It's not about dose, it's about trust.
>
> Bill Lipton
> liptonw@dteenergy.com
>
> You wrote:
>
> >University Radsafer Types:
>
> >Regarding unsecured labs, I have one suggestion that works for future
> >problems - develop a working relationship with your University
> >architects/planners.  When at the U of Nebraska, I would receive
> >monthly  reports from this group that described proposed projects and
> >projects in work.  It was a litlle bit of a pain to weed through the
> >list, but when I saw a project that had the potential to impact rad
> >safety, I would give my input to them.  Amazingly, they would usually
> >listen.  Of course using the words "costly retrofit" would get their
> >attention.
>
> >This method will not help you with an existing lab, but it sure does
> >head off any future problems.
>
> Larry Grimm

Denis J. Rinkacs, Jr.
Radiation Safety Officer