Re: Open-Bay Labs

I think I understand the difficulties of working in a political climate of
"more bang for the buck."  While there is, of course, no regulation against
the open lab design, it seems clear that the only way that 10CFR20 and
10CFR19
can be implemented in such a facility is to consider everyone who works in
that space a "radiation worker", with all of the concomitant training and
monitoring requirements.  It's that or a "costly retrofit" to the facility.
do otherwise is to invite disaster, either from a real spill, or from
litigation, eg., the pregnant employee who doesn't use RAM, but works in
that
space and then has a birth defect, miscarriage, etc.  It's a classic case of
"pay me now or pay me later."

I think that RP's tend to underestimate their power.  My experience at a DOE
facility is that researchers may threaten or cajole, but will not directly
refute or ignore you.  One particularly intense confrontation involved plans
for an accelerator beam line which I refused to approve until an emergency
exit was included.  (Since the beam line was underground, this involved
tunneling up to the surface.)  If looks (or words) could kill, you wouldn't
have to put up with me, now, but, when it was all over, there seemed to be a
consensus that I did the right thing.

I'm also curious as to why the "Radiation Safety Committee" has not been
mentioned, so far.  My apologies if I missed it.  I thought that this is
required for broad scope licenses.  Are they any help?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

William G. Nabor